May 26, 2011

Fabolous//You Be Killin' Em

I'm not sure how this one slipped through the OSS cracks, but this song was IT right around when I was leaving NYC. I first heard it while driving to a gig at Party Xpo in Bushwick with Karl and Patrice. Everyone knows that the only station to listen to when driving to shows is Hot 97. I suppose I'll have to find a West Coast replacement soon.

The second the song came on we were fucking entranced. Oh, that glorious synth line. Oh, that incredible flow. Oh, that hilarious line about shoe-i-cide. Oh, Fabolous, be still my heart. You truly are fabolous.

From that tender moment, this song became a staple at basement dance parties and divey bars with those shitty digital jukeboxes. People flocked to dance to it at the final 50/50 show. I also unabashedly still listen to it when I get homesick for NYC.

Let me note here that even a cursory read of the lyrics reveals a number of things I find generally deplorable ie. this is not a feminist-friendly anti-capitalist rhyme, if you know what I'm saying. Still, let's just try to let that be what it is and love it for how catchy and clever certain lines are. OK?

Fabolous aka John David Jackson was born in the late 70s in Brooklyn. In addition to being a rapper, he now also has his own clothing like called Rich Yung Society. In case you're wondering where you can score some Fabolous swag... I mean, hey, who wouldn't want that necklace?



You Be Killin' Em.mp3

Looking good has its sacrifices:
Chilly weather bring four figure jacket prices.
Her body nice, face dime.
Give me that iPhone 4, Face Time.

3 comments:

Lolita Hazed said...

This song reminds me of New York too, with that exact shitty digital jukebox you're talking about. I remember being completely shitfaced in a Queens dive and thinking this was the greatest song in the world.

Album fotografico matrimonio said...

I waching your musical post. its so nice and soo rocking. This is really really fabolous blog. Thanks for sharing.noleggio proiettori Milano

g said...

@Lolita: when you're shitfaced in a Queens dive bar, there is no question in my mind that this actually IS the greatest song in the world.